Thursday, June 26, 2008

Where are you leading them?

Are you good at following directions or do you, like I, think you know how to get where you are going? I have a pretty good internal compass so I usually don't get lost. If I've been somewhere before, I can get back there. But going to someplace new is a little different. Now, thanks to Garmen, I can get wherever I need to go.

If you are a parent or volunteer, you function sort of like a Garmen to the kids in your life. You are giving them directions for living in situations where they have never been. Every day for them is a new learning experience and your influence, by example and instruction, will guide them. You can shape the direction of their development by your actions and your words.

I'll bet if you think back over your childhood you can recall someone who was a guiding influence in your life, someone who pointed you in a certain direction that had long-term implications. Now you have become that person. You are the one giving direction, even when you aren't aware that you are. You are an influencer. You are a world changer. You are a guiding force in the lives of kids- so let's do good job of it.

Now here's the question- if kids follow your directions for life, where will they end up?