Friday, June 19, 2009

Baby Dedication

Baby Dedication is such a cool time to see families celebrate the wonder of new birth. The framed certificates we give out provide a lasting reminder of the commitment of the parents to raise their kids in a godly environment. Love the idea of celebrating new births.

That got me to thinking- I wonder if we should be doing more to celebrate the new birth of salvation when a child chooses to follow Christ? I wonder if our volunteers think of themselves as spiritual parents when they help a kid cross the line of faith? Do they see their role as providing a nurturing environment for that faith to grow and mature?

I don't want to manipulate kids into following Christ by using some extravagant celebration to appeal to their desire for attention but I don't think it would hurt if we applauded that choice in a big way. Baptism certainly accomplishes some of that and maybe that's enough. What do you think?